The infrastructure for
patient care includes the Nehru Hospital -
a 1400 bedded hospital with 98 rooms
in the 5 private wards and two research blocks for basic sciences. The
infrastructure for teaching includes lecture theatres
and conference halls, an auditorium with a seating capacity of 1000, a
well-stocked library, computer facilities including internet/Email, and
boarding and lodging facilities. Ancillary facilities include an animal house,
a central workshop, a laundry and CSSD facilities. The
teaching faculty consists of 330 highly qualified doctors. There
are 246 Senior Residents, 370 Junior Residents registered for MD, MS,
DM, M.Ch courses, 1072 students for Nursing courses and 569 for
Paramedical courses at the Institute.
PGIMER is a
referral centre for several northern states, and provides tertiary care,
and emergency medical, surgical and intensive care services. It is one
of the most prestigious medical institutes of national importance.
Advanced Pediatric Centre (APC) has several
specialties for the care of children such as Allergy Immunology, Haematology and Oncology, Pediatric Neurology,
Pulmonology, Cardiology, Nephrology, Genetics & Metabolism.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit provides life support to 1000 babies & artificial ventilation to
about 200 babies weighting above 500 gms every year. In Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
more than 1000 children receive intensive care including 60 children who
are provided artificial ventilation every year. There is a separate
24 hrs emergency service for children.
Advanced Eye Centre runs several
special clinics and services viz. Lens, Cornea, Uvea, Glaucoma, Retina and
Vitreous, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, Contact Lens & Low
Vision Aids, Oculoplastic and Tumour Clinics. For the first time in this
country, laser treatment of retinal diseases and glaucoma was started in
July, 1989. Excellent patient care service is the most important objective
of the centre.
Institute also has National Institute of Nursing Education, which is a
collaborative Centre of WHO for Nursing and Midwifery development. The
Institute has played a leading role in creating various departments of
super-specialties in medical and surgical disciplines.
Cardiothoracic & Vascular
The Kidney Transplant Centre caters to a
large number of patients from all over the country. The first kidney
transplant in the country was done at this Institute in June, 1973.
The institute has an
active voluntary blood transfusion and blood product service, and the
only department of Hepatology, which is unique in the country.
block of the institute was inaugurated in 1968 by the then Prime Minister
of India, Smt. Indira Gandhi. There are two research blocks : Research
Bloack A and B. These blocks house the Pathology
Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Experimental Medicine Departments. Dr
Tulsidas library is located in
a central place close to the research bloacks and cafeteria. There is a
Bhargava auditorium with a seating capacity of 1000 people which is used
for various cultural and academic functions.